Basic Automotive Mechanic Tasks
Majority of men and a few women are passionate about cars, which is why some choose to embark on a profession that entails repairing, overhauling and even modifying specific or all car type.
But definitely, aside from the enthusiasm, there are other requirements in order to become an automotive mechanic. First it would be a good idea for anyone who aspires a career on automotive repair to understand the duties and tasks of this craft. When a car malfunctions, an automotive mechanic makes a diagnosis of what have caused such failure in the equipment. After which the mechanic executes appropriate repair works depending on the car make or model. In exact, here are the possible tasks that an auto mechanic may perform:
- patching up various automobiles that may be powered by gasoline, diesel or electricity (these vehicles are cars, light-medium-heavy trucks, vans, scooters, utility vehicles, power sweepers, garden equipments, forklifts, etc)
- working on internal ignition engines and relating repair tasks such as valves grinding, piston and piston ring installations, bearings and bushings fittings, rod aligning, components dismantling and reassembling.
- fine-tuning other components of the automotive such as clutches, transmissions, single and multiple speed differentials, hydraulic loading and accessory systems and controls, mechanical vacuum boosters, hydraulic and air brake systems, suspension systems, steering assemblies, and carburetion, ignition and electrical systems
- tuning up, changing of oil, wheel and tire balancing, mufflers and smog control devices inspecting and fixing
- proper utilization of shop equipments like hand-set grinders, drill and hydraulic presses, hydraulic lifts, engine analyzers, welding equipment, and electrical system testing equipment.
- some welding of electrical and oxygen acetylene, matching tires on dual wheel vehicles
Aside from these, the auto mechanic may be the one to order the parts and supplies needed for the repair, keep inventories in certain projects, estimate costs and price for the automotive repair, recommend other services provided by other contractors if the automotive malfunction is out of his field, and other duties assigned.
To be able to perform well on the duties mentioned for an automotive mechanic, he or she should possess the following qualities and knowledge:
- how a certain type and model of an automotive operates
- principles and concepts of mechanical and electrical systems, Hydraulic and power take-off accessory systems in gasoline and diesel internal combustion engines
- proper use as well as maintenance of tools and equipments in automotive machinery
- safety measures, precautions and practices
- basic record-keeping processes and computer skills
Different countries have different regulations on how an aspirant may become a licensed and qualified mechanic. As early as high school, there are some curriculum which provides early preparation or vocational elective courses including that of car repairing. Also, apprenticeships and training programs may be availed to add to the list of credentials. Formal training and education may come from various technical schools and colleges.
Automotive Repairing may also encompass some lifting or carrying of heavy motors and equipments so a mechanic's body must be fit to carry out such task. He should also possess or have even the basic tools like pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers and gauges.