A long scrape mark on the side of your vehicle from some evil-minded person keying your vehicle can cause you to scream some vulgarities. It is a tacky look and you probably will want to fix it right away. If it’s a simple key mark, you may consider cleaning and repairing it yourself. To do this you have to see how deep the key mark is. If you can see steel then you may have to repaint the entire panel, but if you see color in all or part of the scratch you can attempt to repair it yourself, avoiding the need to file a claim to your insurance company.
5 Easy Steps to Keyed Car Repair
If it is a simple scratch, that hasn’t penetrated down to the metal, there are a number of products on the market that are used for scratches and keyed car repair.
List of products and tools needed for the keyed car repair;
Bucket of soapy water
2000/3000 Grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper
Keyed Car Repair Process
1. Wash the entire panel with soapy water and then dry it completely.
2. Next, you want to rub a substance that is a different color from your vehicle into the scratch so when you sand it you don’t sand too far. Shoe polish works great.
3. Then you can use sandpaper dipped into a solution of water and dish detergent to sand the mark using light, short strokes at alternating 60-degree angles to the scratch. (use 2000- to 3000-grit wet/dry sandpaper) The goal is to slowly see the scratch disappear.
4. Then apply a rubbing compound on the scratch mark and either hand buff or use an electric polishing wheel to completely buff out the scratch.
5. And finally polish and seal the paint with car wax and a microfiber cloth.